Monday, 28 December 2009

I've added a copy of the blog I did on the Etsy Ireland Team Blog (Crafty Ireland) earlier this month. PC is still broken so borrowing a laptop at the moment.

"Hi there, my name is Fiona. I am new to Etsy Ireland. My esty shop is called 'patchworkdelights' and here is a bit about myself.

I live in Dublin with my husband and two children. We moved to Dublin from the UK just over three years ago.


I hope I make sense as I write this as my 2 year old has just handed me a bag of potatoes! Anyway many years ago my mother taught me how to make a patchwork pin cushion



I enjoyed making it so much and I still use it to this day that I wanted to learn some more. The basic style of this pin cushion is 'Grandmother's Garden' using paper templates. Once I completed this project I decided to aim big and make a quilt using the same concept. 5 years later I finished it!



if you look carefully you might see that it is hand quilted in gold thread. I have to say I love gold thread and I tend to use it quite a lot.

When I lived in London I heard about a patchwork shop in Kew Gardens called 'A Stitch in Time' and the owner at the time, Krys Evans, gave lessons. What fun and educational classes they were. Absolutely brilliant. I would trek across town with my cutting mat and gear with eager anticipation. Here is the first quilt I produced after those lessons.




This quilt ('Ohio Star') was completely made by hand and by that I mean hand stitched because at this point I didn't have a sewing machine.

Skip on a few years and I have now taken up my patchwork again. i still have a lot to learn and would love to get more advanced with the types of patchwork that some women can create, however I have many books to refer to and the internet is a great source. I find it mostly very relaxing, depending what you are making you can sew watching tv, commutting or for more serious projects that require your machine I can go and work in my spare room or rather my workshop




I have easy access to my stash of fabrics. I think one of the main things I like about patchwork is the fabrics that you can choose from. Sometimes I just want to keep the fabric untouched, uncut because the colours or patterns can be stunning. I picked up a load of fabric at the Knitting and Stitching Show earlier this month.

Well I could go on and on but I'll finish off with a couple of photos of some bags that I am currently making for a customer. They are some totes in various colours. I love making these. They are practical and very strong and above all very pleasing on the eye.



I hope you enjoyed reading about me and I have recently started a blog (www.patchworkdelights.blogspot.com) and by all means check out my shop when you get a chance at www,etsy.com/patchworkdelights. Once I have finished this order I will be posting more new items.

All the best and if you have any queries or requests drop me a line.

End of blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!