Monday, 19 July 2010

Cupcakes and coffee?

What a busy weekend.  What with housework, kids, cooking, baking, I don't know how I managed to fit in time to do some sewing.  

I have been itching to make another cafetiere cosy for quite a while and this weekend I did!

 I really enjoy making cafetiere cosies.  




I will have to take better photos I think for when I list it but the weather was atrocious so...

The fabric I am using is Robert Kaufman's "Confections in Cocoa".  
It is truly gorgeous fabric, great quality and the colours are so strong and bright, again I don't think my photos do it justice.  

 I have lined this cosy with Amy Butler fabric (orange polka dots) and I used wadding in between the layers to keep in the heat.  

I have picked out some of the sprinkles on the cupcakes with seed beads and tubular shaped beads (apologies don't know correct name :(.)   Then I thought hmmm shall I quilt it a bit, if it doesn't work I will keep it for myself!


 I picked out some more cup cakes and machine quilted around them twice.  Quilting the cosy has given it a different feel, a heavier feel so to speak.   You can see the outline above. 

I have to say I am very proud of myself because one thing that bothered me a bit with previous cosies was the "lip" of the cafetiere tipping off my cosy.  Well now I have sewn a little "dip" along the fabric and hey presto problem solved.  



Now my last dilemma - do I add more beads?  Are there enough beads on the cosy? 

Any comments welcome! 


24 comments:

  1. I love it! don't change a thing. how much is it going for and what size the cafetiere must be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks V, it's for an 8 cup bodum french press coffee. Approx measurements 12 x 6ish. I have to double check, just from memory. I usually charge €15 for them (have another type on my shop at the mo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, it's perfect! Don't change!!!
    Now I want a coffee...from that cafetiere with the cute cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Comments are very encouraging and I will leave the cafetiere alone!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Step back from the Cafetiere Fiona, it's perfect. I know the feeling of is it enough?? Is it too much???. Hard to know when to stop yourself. I love the quilting. You are so darn patient and so neat. It's beautiful. I think every cafetiere needs one of those covers....badly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOh love the new look too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cafetiere is a very tiny one, something like 6*3...mini mini
    I just love the fabric and the stitching and the beads...Do you think you could make me a jewellery travel pouch with the same ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the beads! I think the amount looks just perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi V, show me something similar and leave it with me to work on it.

    BTW do you want me to make you a mini cover for your cafetiere?

    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh lovely !
    And I love the snail behind !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fi, this is lovely. Shame we are too far to meet up for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know Argie, Dimi is sitting here beside me doodling and he said "hmm we need to meet up with friends.." but they are all too far away!! Hopefully see you guys before ur baby #2 arrives. xx fi PS LOVE YOUR CROCHETED FLOWERS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No problems whit the lenguage, i don´t speak english and write bad. Beautiful works, thanks for your request invitation. Greetings from Uruguay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute and the perfect fabric for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How sweet! I love it just the way it is. You've added all the right touches. I think it would be hard to give away. I'd want to keep it for myself. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, it's just perfect as it is! It is so neat and the quilting is perfect. It would make me start drinking coffee just so I could look adoringly at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the fabric and the way you quilted around the cupcakes! Just fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. Have a good w/end. Fi

    ReplyDelete
  19. So creative! I like it the way it is! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for linking to lush friday Fi. I got some beautiful fat quarters in pippablue today so am looking for imspiration. Also got an Amy Butler top pattern and some fabric. Itching to get started.Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is soooo cute!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful idea! Do you have a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you all for your lovely comments and for taking the time to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!