Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Owly Pencil Case




Well it's late and I am ready to head off to bed, but I thought I would do a quick post on a pencil case I made.  I will most likely give this to my nephew who will be visiting in a few days, but I will see, he might prefer a real toy!  

I have this deep fear of zips!  I don't mean I am afraid of zips per se, just a fear of how to put in a zip. After trawling the net and Utube for tutorials and advice from my design manager (aka hubby) I made a pencil case!!!  It took me two evenings can you believe, but I wanted to be sure to have it straight and I unpicked the zip at least 3 times to make sure it was centered, where the fabric on either side of the zip were the same distance from the zip.  I tell you I was in such a state trying to do this and its ONLY A ZIP!!!  But hey like everything if you have never done it before it can be a very daunting task! 






Finally I am in the process of preparing a tutorial for a quilt block which I hope to have up soon so keep checking in! :)




Have a good weekend 




17 comments:

  1. I love the fabric. After years of zips I have no fear but am always learning new tricks. Here's a link to a tutorial you will love. Not only is the zip insertion fantastic but there's also some patchwork.https://docs.google.com/View?id=dfhzndwh_3rszbxhn
    Good Night,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the case. my friend just sent a zipped pouch she made...and its making me want to overcome my fear of the zip.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute that pencil case!! ^_^ Vi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Andrea for the tut! thanks for your comments ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I'm looking forward to seeing the tutorial for the quilt block. Mmmmmm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those zips look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about zips, but yours came out perfect in the end;) I love the owl fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zippers are tough but you really did a great job. Hope the pencil case is very well-received!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks ladies for all your comments, I think I will give nephew a little toy instead! Lynne hope the finger is better and will post a tutorial shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to my fellow etsy irelandian (!) for linking up to lush friday.
    Gosh what do I have to do to get more etsy Ireland girlies to link up too??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know Andrea, it's a great idea though I love it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the owl fabric. You did a great job on the zipper too. I looked at the tutorial Andrea gave you. It looks like a good one but instead of pins try using some Wash Away Wonder tape by Dritz if you have it in Ireland. There is a picture of it on my tutorial for a shoe bag here
    http://simplysewnbyyvonne.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-first-tutorial-shoe-bags-made-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the owl fabric! I too try to stay away from zippers but with so many cute bags and pouches with zippers, I may have to take on the challenge of a zip. Thanks for sharing,.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done a fantastic job for being the first time! Everything is so neat, you must be very proud and I am sure your nephew will like it as much as we all do! :)

    Can't wait to see the tutorial that you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful... Isn't the internet great for learning anything?? Looking forward to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!