Monday, 14 February 2011

Hexagons A Tutorial

A Hexagon Tutorial


This time I will show you how to make regular old hexagons.  You may recall these from your school days!  I remember making  a pillow with a Grandmother's Garden on the front and we had that pillow for years and years!  There are loads of tutorials on the web but I thought I would share my experience with you.  Also check out flickr

Hexagons are great, they are simple and portable which means so long as you are organised you can take them anywhere.  It is not uncommon to see me with some needlework on the train and these will be great travel companions (sorry hubby!).

Ok so here goes:

You will need:

1) your template
2) pin
3) needle
4) thread 
5) fabric
6) thimble (optional I cannot work without one!)

I used to have metal templates one larger than the other.  The larger template was for the fabric and the smaller one for cutting out your paper template, however through various blogs I was delighted to discover that these exist!  I bought them from Paper Pieces.


They are not expensive and the time they save is priceless, not only that but they are accurate.  Why spend time on this when you could get on and start getting to the fun bit... the fabric!!

So you firstly take your paper template.  I am using a 1 1/2" template.  I learnt that they are measured according to the length of one side.  Like this.


Apologies in advance for the quality of some photos, the weather has been so gloomy and also son #2 loves scribbling and nothing escapes not even my work space!

Select your fabric.  Some people punch a hole as close to the centre of the template as possible but I still have not located my single hole punch I picked up in the UK so until then I will have to do it by sticking my pin through the paper and fabric.   


Cut around your template, leaving approx 1/4" of fabric all the way round.  Don't be stingy with this as you don't want a scant seam. 

Get your needle and thread.  Pick one side of your template/fabric.  Fold the fabric over the paper and push your needle though the fabric and paper approx along the centre of that side of the hexagon you are working with the wrong side of your template facing you.

Next push your needle back through the fabric and paper close to the corner of your hexagon (I always go to the left).  The photo below shows where I have done this and am now putting the needle back through the fabric on the other side of that same corner. 

  
It should look like this.


So to recap in the above photo you can see where I started in the centre along one side of the hexagon (see the note on the right of the photo)  I then stitched down fabric on the corner. 

Now you push the needle close to the next corner of the hexagon and repeat the above steps. 

So the right side of your hexagon should look like this.



Keep going until you have stitched around the whole hexagon.


Now you just keep choosing fabrics and keep building up your pile of hexagons.  


Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have anything to add or if anything I have said above is unclear.  

Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Oh thanks for this Fi, I've never done hexagons and really want to try them. Where do you get the paper templates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona,
    I love to make hexagons, it is so easy and relaxing to do. Your pick of fabrics is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, this looks like fun! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah thanks for your comment I have edited the article to mention where you can buy the templates. It's http://www.paperpieces.com/.

    Thanks ladies for your lovely comments as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, I really must try some hexagons some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tut, I didn't know you could get hexagonal templates. Good thinking, makes it a lot easier ^_^ V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fabric and thanks for the tutorial.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  8. O great, thanks for that Fi, I'll pop over and have a look at that site now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Templates? WOW! Thank you for sharing. When I first saw hexagons, I thought - I can't do that. With a template, I think I could.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. One question, do you remove the paper after you have stitched around the whole hexagon?

    Thank you!
    Lori
    thepaisleyturtle@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lori thank you for your comment. In reply to your question no you leave the paper in. The next stage of this is to sew the hexagons together, I haven't got to this yet, building up a collection of hexies so you leave the paper in the for the time being, once you have joined them together that's when you can take them out.

    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi, thanks for this-i'll be starting today-one question-do you tie a knot at all once you're around the whole hexagon?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot ! I wanted to try quilting and you post helped me a lot with hexagons. I now feel confident enough to try other experiences. You can see some pictures on my blog (http://sewingpot.blogspot.fr/2013/03/mini-sets-pour-le-tea-time-mug-rugs.html) and on my shop (http://www.alittlemarket.com/page/creation/add.php?action=edit&sell_id=3276051&page_en_cours=1) !

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!