Thursday, 3 February 2011

Hexies



I have always had a fondness for hexagons and in fact my first patchwork lesson that I was given was how to make a pincushion using hexagons.  I attempted a simple grandmother's garden quilt too.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that you can buy pre cut paper backing.  I bought mine from here.  These are great because (1) you are guaranteed accuracy and (2) you don't need to cut out loads and loads of paper templates! :)  

I was a bit at a loose end, after we bought bits and pieces for son#1's upcoming birthday on Sunday.  So I started basting fabric onto the paper templates.  


I also took out my cathedral windows quilt, okay okay it's only a couple of rows but I had custom orders etc so now that I have a bit of down time I have resurrected it.  Looking forward to getting on with preparing more blocks.  I have also seen some cathedral windows where the backing fabric is coloured as opposed to white.  Stunning!


Don't forget my little giveaway, ends this Sunday!

5 comments:

  1. Love the cathedral windows, they are fab! Will be looking forward to seeing the hexagons, I must check out the paper piecing. Hexagons make such gorgeous quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Fiona, hexagons bring back such memories for me. My mother was in the local ICA many years ago and one of their projects was a hexy quilt. My mother used to get me to cut out the papers and tack the fabrics on before she would go to one of their meetings each week.I didn't much like the job, but their quilt turned out pretty amazing eventhough it was very random with about 20 women workig on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cathedral window quilt - it's stunning. Cathedral windows are so beautiful. Looking forward to seeing your progress on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fi,

    Looking forward to seeing the hexies. Happy Birthday to A. Much love Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys for all your lovely comments. I agree Wendy, cathedral windows are simply stunning!

    Yep the pre cut templates are invaluable!

    Back to bed... snuffling Fi!

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!