Monday, 4 July 2011

Hexie Pillow

I'm on a roll now with blogging, two posts in two days!

Thought while it was still bright I would take a quick piccy of my current project my hexagon pillow.


I realise I haven't taken photos as I went along with this in terms of how to sew hexies together but I promise I will!

As some of you already know I am nervous about the next stage, which is converting this into a cushion.

I have taken out the backing papers, I am going to hand stitch around the inside of each hexagon using the wadding as padding.  Then cut it to the size of my new cushion filler and eek do the envelope, I understand the envelope closing isn't hard but it's getting the measurements right.

My pillow filler measures approx 18.5" so I am guessing I will cut the top to 19.5" and hopefully it's not too loose? 

Any advice welcome!

Fi

8 comments:

  1. Oh Fi it looks beautiful!!
    Envelope backs are easy, depends if you are going to bind like a quilt or not - that way seals in all your edges so the inside is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely! 19.5 should be fine, ive been making lots of cushions lately and it seems hard to get them wrong (either that or I've been very lucky!). Looking forward to the next pics of your finished cushion.

    www.sewrayme.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I make my pillow covers, I cut them about 1" *smaller* than the insert. Why? so that the insert fully fills the cover and you have a nicely plump pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with 'pirate' ( previous comment). Go a little smaller with the cushion cover than the filling to make it nice an puffy and full! Although you may be happier making the cover the same size as the filling and then adding seams if you want that look! Good luck - your hexies are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're lovely! What color are you using on the back of the pillow?

    Will we look forward to three posts in three days? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I agree too, I make the back 1" smaller than the size of the cushion insert, then sew with a 1/4" seam - perfect! Definitely don't make it larger or your insert will kind of flop to one end.

    Panic not, I made one without instructions as a brand new sewer with only a couple of weeks experience, I'm still a crap sewer so if I can do it, so can you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I have decided to go with 1" down so that the effect is a puffed out pillow. Thank you again, now just to get on and do it!

    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Fi, its lovely! I usually cut my pillows to exactly the size of my insert, so then the seam allowance puffs it up a little (but not too much!) I kind of wing it on the envelope back to be honest, lol!

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!