Sunday, 11 September 2011

A hexie mug rug


I just love making mug rugs!  They are quick, easy and fun projects to make.

I saw Judith's (of Rags to Bags) gift for a friend of hers and I thought for sure I want to make one like this.  I had also come across the pattern "Hexing Around the Block" at Freshly Pieced but I didn't think to keep it as a hexagon!  Very clever.



I did a bit of hand stitching around the owl from the centre outwards, I used purple, green and pink embroidery thread.

So sofar I have made two mug rugs and hope to make more, I love trying to choose which colour combo's to go with.



I know which one is my favourite.... the orange and blue theme.  For the above mug rug I simply machine stitched in the ditch. 



How about you, any preference?

Have a good Sunday!


12 comments:

  1. Love them both but particularly the first one ( you know me and pink!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! A unique take on a mug rug! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're great! The pink one would be my favorite, but I also like the colors used in the second rug too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all, but the second one is darling cute!!! I love that little owlet in the centre, and the combination of colors!!! Love Love Love :D Great job!!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love so much them both!!!!
    the 1st one have delicate colors and the second one...more actractives but...definitely...I love them both! and this is a great idea for a gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing!! Loving the bright colours and cutsie owls! V.well done. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them both! Logic says I should love the second one more, but I think the pink one wins the day xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are fabulous, and you have inspired me to give one a go. the 2nd one would be my preference, but they are both great

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are both so lovely. But the polkadot binding makes me like the second the best. The stitching on the first mug rug is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are lovely, I have never done a mug rug before, I fell like sewing millions after seen your gorgeous work!. Well done!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both of them! That's a great idea to make coasters out of the stringy hexies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, how cute are they?! I love your contrasting hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!