Wednesday, 21 September 2011

When you are cleaning the house don't forget your....

... your sewing machine or aka your best friend!


Look at the state of my sewing machine!! I have her about 10 yrs and this is the first time I cleaned her!

It all started on Sunday night when the bulb in my machine went, one thing led to another that I got hubby to help me open her up.  I think it was Mrs FB's post here that got me thinking about my little machine.


Look at that, that was one lump ONE LUMP!!!


Ah much better.  I asked hubby to add some W40 - don't ask me where I just thought we should "oil" her up but he said that the wrong type of oil.  So the maintenance continues. 

But now that she is purring smoothly again here is a sneak preview of what I am going to finish sewing the binding of tonight. 



12 comments:

  1. Wow I get that much fluff after 8 weeks of sewing. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky - there's a shop round here that does sewing machine services for a reasonable price, so twice a year I hand my poor little machine over to them. She's away right now actually, and I'm missing her terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor machine. I hope she is feeling happier now. Heading of to check out my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty, pretty! I can't wait to see more! I had the same "discovery" of fluff when my machine started acting funny. It's not pretty, but its easy to get out, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had mine serviced, but it was the first time in about 7 years! I remember being told about keeping it fluff free, but I do tend to forget1

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get that much fluff in about 4-6 weeks!!! Your poor machine....look after her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to get a little computer hoover thing I think, to do 'regular cleaning' - I did find it therapeutic though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fighting the fluff is a constant battle! Intrigued by the sneek peak of what you're making. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Ten years! I cleaned my sewing machine every two hours of sewing time while sewing with flannel - the fluff built up that much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cleaned mine last week, and oiled it... and it then chewed up thread and jammed. It prefers neglect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooohhhh. A dear friend used wd-40 and ruined her machine! It gumms up! Glad u avoided that potentially fatal mistake. They make sewing machine oil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG-- too funny! I've had my machine for just a year and it was acting up about a month ago. Read the manual, cleaned it out and it works like a charm now. Haven't used oil yet though. Love the sneak peak of what you're working on.

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!