Sunday, 1 January 2012

Hello and Happy New Year

Hi Everyone

Happy New Year and I wish you and your family health and happiness for 2012!

I cannot believe that the last time I posted was beginning December, nearly a month ago!!! I won't be sorry to see December go, I am on ANOTHER course of antibiotics to clear off the end of the bout of sinusitis I got mid / end December.  So no more please I have too many things to do!!!   Yesterday I felt back to normal enough to take the boys out for a walk down to our local beach.  We spent ages looking through the rock pools.  Didn't find anything though...


Down at the beach looking for anything alive!
It was quiet on the beach



Pretty shells..


Patchworkwise - I have long wanted to make a tumblr quilt and I had a new customer who was up for me to experiment!

Cot size
My instructions were that it had to fit a cot.  I googled and found the finished dimensions of the quilt should be approx 28" x 52".  Now I new what I was working with.  I arranged to meet my customer face to face as she lives in my town.  She loved the "Girls at Play" fabric by Sarah Jane for Michael Miller.  I know I have extolled the virtues of this fabric, I love love love it!  I am waiting for a delivery of the boys version now for a little boy called Connor.

Close up of tumblr
No pressure then, first time trying a block (template no less) and for a customer so no room for error!

You know the tumblr is a dream block or template whichever to work with.  You need to be accurate as always with your initial cutting so that your points still line up and wow this quilt moved so smoothly.  I am itching to make another one. 


I had drama two nights before my deadline which was Christmas Eve because the stick that holds my thread snapped (my fault).  I sat for 15 mins holding my epoxy glue, but in the end balanced my thread on one of my mini pin cushions, phew.  All is working again but I reckon I will have to look for a new machine when funds allow.

Quilting - I did the usual FMQ on this quilt too, I would like to try new quilting styles but I am afraid to at this point!  One day.

Round up

Design: Tumblr
Size: approx 28 x 52"
Fabric: Girls at Play by Sarah Jane for MMiller
Quilting: FMQ
Skill level - beginner no hassle!

12 comments:

  1. Fi, Happy New Year to you and your lovely boys, not forgetting D. of course. Much love clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope this lot of antibiotics does the trick! Love that tumbler quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! This is going to sound weird but have you ever tried a Neilmed nasal wash or a neti pot. It's not the prettiest thing but i used to get multiple sinus infections a year and haven't since I started using it on the advice of an ENT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year my friend!
    Lovely quilt - bad timing on the snappage!
    Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. how much is the inches of each end of the tumbler quilt square? i would love to make one for next greatgrand , woodsbrbr@windstream.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh heck - bad luck on the stick snapping! Beautiful quilt, though - I am sure it was well received

    ReplyDelete
  7. bummer about the drama, but good for you for taking on something new! the coast pics are lovely too- it looks like oregon (where i am from)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty quilt. I want to try a tumbler, too - it's good to experiment isn't it! I've been FMQ'g to my heart's content since getting my new machine - go on, treat yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year to you too!
    What a lovely sweet quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the good info you could have right here on this post. I might be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!