Monday, 20 February 2012

A finished quilt top

Wiping sweat of my brow I can say finally yipppeee a finished quilt top!



Can you believe it (although this is me you are talking about so yes you can!) but this quilt is from a QAL hosted by Fat Quarterly I think about a year ago!!!

I bought the fabric specifically for that QAL and only now have managed to finish it.  I want to thank Gwen from Celtic Fusion Fabrics  for sourcing more fabric for me, I was a bit short on a couple of colours and she had some left thankfully.  I also wanted to add a bit more variety. She kindly sourced some lovely new fabric, namely the hedgehogs.  I love them!



I had used some of the original FQs that I had purchased for this quilt on other projects, but I managed to keep aside most of it, and I have to say I am so glad I finished this quilt.  There were a couple of "groan" and "unpick unpick" moments but whenever I got to that point I would walk away from it and come back to tackle it the next day with a fresh mind.  It is not a difficult quilt but if my mind was distracted and I forgot to trim the finished block then of course my measurements were out slightly and therefore I had to "groan" and "unpick it".

What I found useful and I had read about this in books and blogs was taking a photo of the quilt to see the placement of colour.  It really works, I could see too much imbalance of one colour so I just rejigged it and took another photo (with my phone).  So I will definately use this method with other colourful quilts.

The size of this quilt is approx 46" x 53".

The question now is do I add a border or keep it nice and modern and go without?



Any opinions welcome!

Have a good Monday, oh yep have taken a holiday day to do some patchwork!!!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt. Definitely no border in my humble opinion. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely as is Fi! V.well done! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you on a great finish! One year isn't bad in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fi,

    Well done it looks lovely. Clare x

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!