Saturday, 25 February 2012

Meet The Gang and my new purse

A little while back I purchased some "Meet the Gang" fabric created/designed by Marisa Anne (Creative Thursday).  Her illustrations are simply amazing.

I wanted to make a purse for myself and at the same time I wanted to try this tutorial  from Flossie Teacakes.  Everyone is doing the covered zip ends so I was interested in trying it out for myself.

The tutorial is perfect.  However I was not completely happy with my zip ends and I think it's because I use fusible fleece which of course adds more bulk as it is thicker, so hmm I do like the zip ends but I need to figure out how to cut down on bulk at those points.  TIPS WELCOME!


So here is my Meet the Gang coin purse which is now my every day purse!

Side 1 
I did some hand stitching on both sides, I am sure the fusible fleece won't budge but just to be on the safe side...

Side 2 
Enjoy your weekend everyone :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh very cute!
    I don't use fusible fleece, but I trim my wadding right down as near to the stitching as possible to reduce the bulk at the zip ends, corners etc - sometimes it works, others it doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet purse! I'm sure with a little use, your purse will 'wear' its way into a smoother shape! Although it looks pretty perfect from here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a look at the tutorial - The corners would work out alot better if you cut your zip shorter by the amount of the seam allowance. Eg: if your purse is 8" wide and you are sewing in 1/2" either side, then cut the zip to be 7". then center your zip across the top of the purse and carry on as before. It means less bulk and not having to sew over zipper ends .Hope that all makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar to the above Fi, once I've sewn my zip ends onto the zip, I open them out and cut away as much of the excess zip in inner fabric as I can. This helps alot in reducing the bulk. Good luck with the next one. This one is still gorgeous! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling purse - now you need to add the zipper pull ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel about the ends. I thought that next time I would try I would just use interfacing. Like the tips that have been left though!

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!