Sunday, 9 September 2012

Something new for me!

OK so I'll be honest I know this quilt that I am going to show you  isn't as intricate let's say as the Swoon blocks, see below, and I still only have two done, other committments you understand.  But for someone that is rubbish at calculations and coming up with designs I am pleased!


Requirements: My friend asked for a quilt for her friend's baby.  She wanted something with a variety of colours, no strict pattern.  WHAT!!! What am I going to do, I can do squares and tumblers! 

But this quilt made me sweat!  I have no doubt that you all know crazymomquilts, I bought her book, Sunday Morning Quilts, earlier this year, she is very much into using up scraps for projects too, so inspired by AmandaJean I decided to use her approach of going through my scraps. 

Sweat and tears: Any how I tackled it, as usual it took longer than it should have.  I put two borders on this little fella.  The outer border is from Moda, I don't know the name off the top of my head. I ran into my local quilt shop with the quilt top and we (hubby, shop assist and me) choose the outer border.  While I was at it I bought treated myself to 3 FQs of the range, if anyone wants the name I will look it up promise!


This quilt is for Ethan, it has a selection of fabrics from Riley Blake, Michael Miller and the Moda border there.  Oh yes a bit of Sarah Jane for Michael Miller (sign love her stuff!)

I know it's not intricate but I had such a hard time putting this together, it didn't start out like this and then it ended up looking like it does now.  I guess that's the way it goes if you are not working off a pattern!

Am I happy with it? Yes or I wouldn't show it, I love the way it all came together in the end.  A couple of seems don't line up but not noticeably so!


Thanks for stopping by and have a great Sunday!


 

5 comments:

  1. It is a lovely baby quilt and I like the design too. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet baby quilt. I love when larger prints are showcased like that. Rather than all chopped up. :) And your scrappy "non-swoon" blocks are fabulous! So bright and cheery. I am new to using my scraps. I used to just give them away. I've been using them in a monthly charity bee and I'm just loving it! It's fun to revisit some of those fabrics again, isn't it?
    -Amanda-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee for great colors! Yippee for scraps! You're looking great, Fi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is gorgeous! He will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's an adorable quilt! good for you using your scraps. I assure you, it does get easier with practice. so don't give up!

    I love your star blocks at the top. They are so fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!