Sunday, 6 January 2013

Lucky Stars - January's Block


You may recall me mentioning that I was participating in Don't Call Me Betsy's Lucky Stars BOM club.  If you want to join in go here.

Well we got our first block as promised and I decided to hit the ground running and now that my machine is back in action I got straight to it.

First things first you have to choose your fabrics.  When I was looking at what other members had made (already!) I noticed that some of them looked seriously 3D and that was the effect I wanted to try and get too.  So I finally came to this colour selection, I reckon I spent an hour hemming and hawing, it's not easy choosing colours is it?




I spent the whole of the afternoon making this block, not because it is difficult but because I made a couple of mistakes, for example.  When Elizabeth says make sure the fabric covers the pertinent section there is no messing around with that.  Look, do you see why?



Also make sure you double check where you put your colours.  See picture below bottom left quadrant.



But the end result is really very rewarding.  I love my block and glad I was letting out a couple of "argghhs".

Instagramed!
Have you started yours yet?

11 comments:

  1. Great block! (It is very easy underestimating if a fabric piece will fit when paper piecing! ) love the colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colour choice really makes the block 3D. Lovely. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, love the fabrics you picked, gorgeous block :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks lovely! I tried my first foundation pieced block at the weekend and really messed it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You obviously have an understanding of color & design. I really like how the block POPS! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's a lovely quilt block, and the colours make me happy just looking at them! Choosing fabrics can be tricky, but SO rewarding when you get it just right (as you have done here!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very pretty! the mistake is the reason I never made a flying geese as after that happened three times I just threw it in the corner and there it is still waiting ...

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!