Friday, 28 February 2014

A personalised cushion tutorial



The thought of making a cushion cover used to give me a shiver of trepidation until I tried to make one for myself.  (There are loads of great tutorials out there.) It worked out fine but with a lot of tears of frustration on my part.  Hubby had to wade in and help me follow the pattern, I know I am crap at following instructions but it's cause the nerves take over.  Personally I love plump fat cushions so this cover is made to exactly fit the cushion filler.

So here is a very simple little cushion tutorial that is quick and easy.

Materials

16" cushion filler
Scrappy fabrics that can be cut to 4.5" x 4.5"
One piece of fabric for centre that will need to be cut to 8.5" x 8.5"
Backing fabric piece 16" x 22"
Seams allowance: 1/4" and in some parts 1/2"

To start:

1.  Select 12 pretty fabrics of your choice, this will be for the outer border.  Cut to 4.5" x 4.5".

2.  Cut what will be the centre panel to 8.5" x 8.5".

3.  I drew a little puppy face and appliqued it on to the centre panel, I then hand embroidered the recipients name on to it.  


Once you have cut your squares and designed your centre panel you can decide on your layout in terms of colour positioning.  I rejigged my border a few times till I was happy with the arrangement of colour.


4.  Next sew your top row of four squares together (Row 1).   Iron your seams one direction.

5.  Sew the bottom row of four squares together (Row 3). Iron your seams same direction as Row 1

6.  The two squares on the left hand side of the panel need to be sewn together and same with the two squares on the right hand side.

7.  You will see I haven't mentioned Row 2 yet, well first you need sew the two left hand squares (which are now attached see point 6), sew them to the panel, do the same with the two (attached) squares on the right hand side. This is your really wide Row 2.  Iron your seams the opposite direction of Rows 1 and 3.  When you sew all your rows together you will see that they will knit nicely together.

8.  Sew Row 1 to Row 2.

9.  Repeat by sewing Row 3 to Row 2.  You now have your beautiful cushion top, yippee!

10.  Size the cushion top to 16".  (At this point I decided to hand sewn a running stitch around the border of the centre panel.).

11. For the envelope back cut a piece of fabric of your choice 16" x 22".  To arrive at this measurement add 6" to width of your backing fabric.  So for example if your cushion filler was 20" your backing fabric would be cut at 20" x 26".

12.  Now cut your backing fabric in half so that you end up with two pieces of fabric measuring 16" x 11".  Take care that you are cutting the right way :).

13.  Sew a 1/2" seam along one raw edge of each piece, along the 16" length.  This is to make the visible edges on the cushion back "pretty".

14.  Lay the cushion top face upwards.  Place one piece of backing face down, raw edges together, repeat with the other piece of backing so that the two "pretty" seams are overlapping.

15.  Pin in place (if you are using a tag pin it in now).  I drew a 1/2" seam allowance around the raw edges of my 16" square.

16. Sew all around along the pencil line.

(for my cushion I sewed some xxxx along the visible seam just because!) don't mind the bit of pulling, that sorted itself out.


17.  If you like, to avoid bulking in the corners of your pillow, you can snip a piece off each corner (carefully).  Turn your cushion cover inside out, make sure you push your corners out nicely, I use a wooden chop stick for this.

18.  "Wrestle" your cushion filler into your beautiful cushion cover and plump it out, pushing and squeezing it so that it all sits nicely.  Now enjoy your own personalised cushion!

 

Any questions please do not hesitate to contact me and I will help where I can!


 

1 comment:

  1. This is cute. I made my first cushion this year and am hooked, they make great presents and are a lot quicker than a quilt. xx

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!