Saturday, 29 August 2015

Crochet blanket makeover

Morning all from a bit of grey Dublin.

I have been meaning to write this post for a few days now and only now have gotten a chance to sit down and give it a go.

Apologies in advance for an overload of pictures but... sure that's what I love about blogs all the photos.

For those of you who follow my Instagram feed (@patchworkdelights) I posted this picture I'd say 3 months ago at least?  I didn't like it for the simple reason that it was crooked.  The rows weren't lining up right at all.  So I chucked it on the back of a chair just for colour purposes.


A couple of weeks ago I woke up with a pounding headache, after sleeping it off, later that evening I was staring at the blanket, whilst lying on the sofa.  I thought I don't like you blanket, so let's try something else.

I started unravelling the edging, and saving yarn where I could, then I unpicked all the rows.

To say that there was bits of yarn all over the sitting room was a bit of an understatement.


It took a little while...


But I got there in the end.

Now I was left with loads of gorgeous granny squares. 

I started joining them together with cream yarn (stylecraft DK).


I used Attic24s method of joining grannies but to be on the safe side I used the pins to make sure the grannies were lined up properly.

I then added 3 rounds of treble clusters as a border followed by this edging here.  First attempt at this edging and I loved it, it moved very fast I have to say.



It took about a week, in between work and commuting and family etc but I got it done and I have to say I love the new version of this blanket much more than the original!  What do you think?  Isn't it much brighter, prettier and better aligned?


I have since found another way of joining grannies, which I will try on my son's blanket, but at the moment I am getting some patchwork orders out, but I will update you on his crochet blanket.  In the meantime, here is a link to the joining I will be trying out on the next blanket.



 

1 comment:

  1. The newly-joined blanket is far more pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete

In case you think I am being awfully rude by not acknowledging your comments it is because I find that a lot of you are NO REPLY bloggers.

You need to change your settings and input your email address so that I can reply. There are blogs that walk you through the process but fear not it is not hard to do!